The 60 Best Blogs on China in English
Chinalyst staged a contest to determine in English. More than 310 blogs got 20,000+ cumulative votes in six categories.
If you are looking for some light, not-so-light reading on China, or just want to know more about the Middle Kingdom – Here are the ten best blogs on China in English in each of the six categories -
(62 blogs got votes)
1. The China Observer – The China Observer Blog provides readers with an understanding of the Chinese marketplace. You will get a China business education with an emphasis on Culture, Consumer Trends and Social Media. The China Observer – Local Observations. Global Implications.
2. Experience Not Logic – Business and Law in China
3. China Sports Review - latest news, reports, analysis and opinions about Chinese sports
4. Grape Wall of China - Grape Wall of China covers the wine scene in the world’s largest market. The blog has a dozen writers, which include a blend of locals and expatriates who are wine distributors, makers, academics, educators, consultants and consumers in….
5. Silk Road International – Timely blog entries from our China office help you keep in touch with the current business climate in Asia.
6. China Esquire - Chinese law, business, and society… and anything else remotely interesting blog
7. China Business Blog – Putting China business news in context. From Jeremy Gordon, Chief Executive of China Business Services.
8. Black China Blog – An irregular review of China’s aluminum industry and raw materials markets.
9. Asia QC Blog – Quality and sourcing issues in China and the rest of Asia.
1o. China Economics Blog - A place to find news, observations, statistics, information on undergraduate (BSc and BA economics) postgraduate (MSc economics) and academic analysis of important issues for China’s economy including economic growth, inequality, exchange rates, the environment, foreign direct investment, WTO and much more.
(68 blogs got votes)
1. Wo Shi Laowai – Wo Pa Shui – Protecting you from Falling Cows since 2007
2. chinaSMACK -Hot internet stories, pictures, & videos in China. What’s popular, scandalous, or shocking that have the Chinese talking.
3. A Modern Lei Feng – Blog about all things China from the perspective of those living in China and the US…Commonly discusses news, food, and regularly includes street photography and a weekly mp3 post.
5. Paper Republic –
6. The Yan Xishan Blog – Notes from China’s most noteworthy Warlord, blogging at you straight outta 1941. Everything you ever wanted to know about outsmarting Mao, frustrating Jiang, cuckolding Liu, and killing peasants.
7. The Beijinger Blog - The Beijinger Blog: All things Beijing from the team of people that bring you The Beijinger, Agenda, Urbane and Beijing Kids magazines, as well as the Immersion Guides series of books and maps.
8. Lost Laowai -The Lost Laowai blog is a multi-authored and multi-opinionated blog on living, learning and traveling in China. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, so we hope you wont either. Our content spans the gamut and offers opinion on current events, travel, entertainment, and general commentary from foreigners living in China.
9. Chinglish Adventures of Chairman Mao - Chairman Mao is still alive and kicking… and traveling around. He’s still the adventurous communist leader he once was.
10. CHINAYOUREN -
(48 blogs got votes)
1. The Foreign Expert – Translations and Review – All the translations and week in review entries that appear on The Foreign Expert.
2. The Opposite End of China - The Opposite End of China covers Xinjiang & Northwest China (with lots of photos, video, and news commentary) from a secure control room hidden beneath the sands of the Taklamakan Desert, not far from the wealthy oilopolis of Korla (also Kuerle or ???). Have a look at the China you don’t know…
3. Imagethief -Confessions of an American spin doctor in China
4. PanAsianBiz – Doing business in Asia: China, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Russia, India and beyond
5. The Foreign Expert – China news, translations, and media.
6. Shanghaiist – Shanghaiist is a website about Shanghai.
7. China Goods News – CGN – No country can guarantee 100% satisfactory products. More than 99% of “Made in China” goods, with their competitive price and good quality, have won recognition and popularity all over the world. All about China Goods News.
The Beijing Olympics Blog is place where news and information about the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games is gathered, collated and hopefully explained.
9. London Chinese Radio – London Chinese Radio is a bilingual radio station in London. It is a registered charity run entirely by volunteers.
10. Shenzhen Party: Guide to living in Shenzhen - Keeps you up to date at Shenzhen speed with what is going on in this border town. Taking the fishing village to the next level
(82 blogs got votes)
1. Beijing Boyce - A Somewhat Young China Hand on the Local Drinking Scene – Looks at pubs, clubs, and bars, wine, Whiskey, and cocktails, in the nation’s capital, often through the somewhat blurry lens of nights out with friends
2. Thomas Crampton – China, Media and Technology as seen by a recovering journalist – China, Internet and new media seen from Asia
3. Absurdity, Allegory and China – The Kingdom from another angle
4. China Hope Live - a Canadian-American couple with M.A.s in Intercultural Studies trying to live into and love – and some days just survive – China.
5. Reflections in a Chinese Eye – American expat, retired, part time teacher, my experience in China for the past two years. Opinions, news, musings of an uneducated, ignorant, but still learning “Old Man.”
6. Expatriate Games - An America experiencing mid-life in The Middle Kingdom, living in, working for and learning about China. I agreed to teach English to the
7. ISpyShanghai.com – Popular funny blog based in Shanghai. Originator of Shoe Tuesday- the only footwear / day combination you will ever need.
8. Simpson’s Paradox – Living, working and playing videogames in Beijing. (Formerly Violet Eclipse)
9. The Humanaught: Life In Suzhou – The discursive writings of a Canadian expat somewhat trapped in China. The blog follows his life in Suzhou, with topics ranging from the mundane to insane.
10. Ambassador Doodle - Stories of travel, education and adventure.
(27 blogs got votes)
1. Digital Marketing Inner Circle – your home for the latest and most important Digital Marketing news online. With a bias towards the Chinese Internet market, The Digital Marketing Inner Circle uses the digital news sources online as well as personal commentary for information related to Digital Marketing, Search, Technology and much more.
2. MOBINODE – Bridging the dragon’s internet with the global market -
3. Digital China Guide – Digital China Guide is a filtered perspective, a guide, and an online resource of aggregated feeds, articles, media, links, and statistics relating to China’s digital spectrum.
4. Web2Asia – - Web2Asia is a Shanghai-based Internet market entry & localization consultant for Western companies in China, Japan & Korea. We additionally invest in & incubate local startups. Our blog covers mostly Chinese Web 2.0 space, but also touches Japan & Korea.
5. CNET Asia’s The Tech Dynasty – Navigating the bamboo scaffolding of China’s rapid-rising tower of technology
6. iPhonAsia – Navigating the bamboo scaffolding of China’s rapid-rising tower of technology
7. China SEO Blog – New blog on Chinese SEO and Internet Marketing by a HK-based SEO Specialist preparing a move to Shanghai
8. China Net Investor – The “China Net Investor” provides a news digest about Chinese internet and technology companies. The focus lies on Chinese internet, telecom and networking companies but also covers macroeconomic and political news of relevance to them.
9. Tech China Blog – Startech’s Tech China Blog is the leading source for up-to-date information on technological developments and technology policy in China. This blog also covers the economic, legal & political issues with the greatest impact on American small & medium enterprises.
10. Utility Computing dot China -
(23 blogs got votes)
1. Xinjiang: Far West China - Where the heck is Xinjiang? That’s what I asked myself three years ago when my wife and I moved here, and now I’m just sharing a bit of this unique part of China with others. If you plan to visit, live, or work here…or if you’re just curious about the culture of Xinjiang, this would be your first step.
2. China Travel 2.0 and Chinese traditional culture – China and Chinese always are difficult to know for some expats. it is really that difficult?
3. Chengdu Letters – I am a teacher, a bicyclist, a martial artist, a cook. I am a lapsed filmmaker, an amateur photographer, and a sloppy linguist.
4. Flowing Waters Never Stale - A China travel site for those who are interested themselves in traveling through China, and are looking for ideas on places to visit, experiences to be had, insights to be gained.
5. China Travel News -
6. China travel industry blog – Thoughts and news from China’s growing tourism sector
7. Historic Shanghai -Historic Shanghai is dedicated to exploring Shanghai’s fascinating heritage.
8. Redefining Lanzhou – The sights and sounds of Lanzhou, helping expats and travelers to get more out of the city, through photos, field recordings and translations
9.– Run by an ex-pat, TeachAbroadChina.com is a website about all things China including cultural information,news, ESL Lessons and a community forum.
10. Recording Beijing – a blog dedicated in capturing and recording the everyday life in Beijing, providing useful and credible information about living in Beijing, food, travel, shopping, housing, transportation, culture and customs, leisure, arts, and most importantly, the people.
Post a new comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.